Thursday, November 4, 2010

Eating In


Oh November…
With the beginning of the month came the typical paying of bills and re-prioritizing projects and responsibilities. I’ve been evaluating my work schedule (how many hours I am putting in vs. how many I should be putting in vs. how many I will be putting in) planning out my next six weeks of yoga school, getting geared up for a weekend away, and yes, budgeting. 

As I was balancing my checking account I realized that the past few weeks (months, whatever) I’ve been eating out a ton… which is fun, and easy, and delicious, but also expensive. And as the winter months approach and the summer wedding commissions become a distant memory, I’m re-discovering my spending savvy as well as my love for being creative in the kitchen. It’s really eye opening when you realize that the amount of money you have spent on 1.5 meals will be able to buy you groceries for an entire week (and we are talking breakfast, lunch, and some dinners for two). Don’t get me wrong, I don’t regret any of my eating out purchases…well maybe the one at Jory… but that more has to do with the poor service, and the discriminatory behavior of the staff… sorry, I'm digressing...

I still plan on eating out (hello, date nights!) but I definitely plan on reining in my food budget, and getting a little more creative in the kitchen. I’m back to the evenings of going shopping in my pantry and seeing what I can create from a handful of salad greens and a cupboard full of bulk foods. I’m getting inspired and learning some new culinary techniques, and grasping my inspiration from the ingredients I already own rather than an extensive menu at at restaurant. I’m (gasp) planning ahead, making grocery lists, and bringing my lunch pail out of retirement!(which is good, because I'm totally obsessed with my lunch box).  Look out November… I’m busting out my apron, flipping through Cooking Light, learning how to poach eggs, and in general am spending a lot more time in the kitchen… now if only I had a dishwasher… 

 Good Old Lunch pail

Mixed greens with lentils and poached eggs... mmmm protein

3 comments:

  1. Those poached eggs are beautiful!! You should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also getting creative with cooking, and it's super fun. Have you tried any of Jamie Oliver's recipes yet? If not, they're to die for. You can check out his cookbooks at the library or just go on his web site and look through them there.

    Oh, and I can relate to the whole "no dishwasher" thing. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo try this website a friend introduced me to for recipes - www.tastespotting.com

    ReplyDelete