Sunday, March 25, 2012

Because when I get sick, all I want is someone to play with my hair

Tonight I had a plan. Feed the dog, make dinner, watch a movie, write a new blog post… Naturally as soon as I sat down in front of my computer, the DVD drive decided to be problematic and over an hour, and several reboots, and some semi-successful trouble shooting, it decided to start working. It actually was pretty fitting, since I was planning on writing about when life sort of gets in the way of best laid plans.

I got a stomach bug on Wednesday, and out the door went my diet, exercise, work, productivity… everything went on pause, and with a life pause came a bit of an emotional pause as well. It’s no secret that I’m not exactly content with my relationship status, but it really hits me the hardest when I am sick. I think we all go through that moment when we just want someone to take care of us. All I want is for someone to curl up with me, make me soup, entertain the pup, and maybe clean my kitchen… is that really too much to ask? Maybe… I’ve been living the life of a single sick person for quite some time. Even growing up, my mother was never really one to indulge my neediness when I was ill. She might make me a cup of tea, but mostly she would hand me a bottle of advil and make herself scarce.  It’s everyman for themselves when it comes to airborn illness. (she is a very loving mother, and takes care of me in a lot of ways… just not when I’m sick. Though to her credit, a few years ago when I had a staph infection, and it was fairly touch and go, she did creepily watch me in my sleep).

For the most part, I am an independent spirit. I enjoy doing things by myself, I have a routine… and then I get sick, and I’m totally reminded of how alone I am. Yes, the bulldog will snuggle me for a bit, and its sort of precious, but then he gets bored eventually, and rather than resting on the couch, I am yelling, chasing, disciplining a dog who thinks that chewing on my dresser is the best way to get my attention.  And the projects pile up, the kitchen is not cleaning itself…the dog is not entertaining himself, and my yoga class is not teaching itself. As much as I want it to, the world doesn’t stop when I’m sick… and there is no one else here to help me out or pick up the pieces. And emotionally, its when I’m my most vulnerable. Why do I not have someone in my life who can make me soup, and willingly risk illness just to keep me company and maybe provide a little body heat? Not that being sick is in any way shape or form attractive, so why in my fantasy I have a doting, hot boyfriend who is totally willing to clean my kitchen, I’ll never know… Maybe it’s the whole romantic notion of “in sickness and in health”

Interestingly enough, I later found out that my ex, had the stomach flu at the exact same time… Though it would not be ideal, at least having a sickly companion would be the next best thing to having someone to help you out… at least you have a partner who is ill at the same time, so there is no guilt about contaminating the other person, and you don’t have to worry about being gross and laying on the couch all day… you have someone who is equally as gross, laying on the couch, and maybe you can take turns chasing the dog… (in my defense, I’m not a crazy stalker… I found out my ex was sick during a business related conversation...and I really do not wish that he and I were sick together... so over that ship. But I do sorta wish I had someone to be sick with! )

Maybe both of these options are somewhat warped fantasies… I think it comes with being single for so long… its easier to idealize hypothetical situations…(maybe I've been watching too much Lipstick Jungle... don't judge, instant netflix is starting to have a very limited selection... and if all of those women are dating hot 25 year olds who bring them take out, why can't I?)  and in this case, hang onto them as the light at the end of the tunnel. “Maybe someday I will have a man who will make me soup, and takes my pet for walks, and calls to check on me” it might be a fantasy, but hey, whatever gets you through the day.

A few days after I was feeling better, as I was contemplating my options (ok scouting out barista’s who are way too young for me, but are totally adorable, and totally qualified to bring me soup… ) I was introduced to a woman in her late 40s… never married, who kept telling me it wasn’t worth it. Settling wasn’t worth it, and she was not willing to compromise… and yet there she was, sitting at the same bar that I was, calling all of the Baristas  “her boys” . Essentially me 20 years from now… and I have to admit, it was discouraging. She could be entirely right… and yet the sickness minded, somewhat needy me was not willing to accept it as my fate. And it made me realize… that maybe right now I’m not looking for someone to spend the rest of my life with. I’m looking for someone to spend the right now with.  I’m not ready to think of long term, of settling down, of the future… at least not when it comes to a relationship… I’m not saying I couldn’t get to that point fairly quickly… but I do honestly think I’m ready just to date for the sake of dating. And maybe I'm the type of girl who needs to be taken care of now and then... not all the time... but now and then. And I think its ok to want that.  Because I refuse to spend the rest of my sick days snuggled up with a dog. Toby is very cuddly, but let’s face it, his arms are way too short for him to be a big spoon, and at the end of the day, I still have to feed and clean up after him…

Anyway, this is sort of a long diversion… but to sum up… getting sick totally threw me a curveball this week, and left me playing catch up in a lot of areas. But now that I’m finally caught up… maybe I need to let myself  focus a little more on the right now and a little less to the someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment