Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chalkboard calendar!

I have internet access! Hooray! Granted, I am still tethered to the wall, and have to sit on the floor until my wireless router gets here, but it is internet none-the-less! Once again I am connected to the outside universe by more than just my telephone, and late-night productivity has returned!

Reliable internet is just one of the many moving projects I’ve been working on as of late. I’m still settling into the new space, figuring out all the quirks and nuances, and adjusting. For instance, this is the first time I’ve lived on street level in about 6 years. It’s wonderful when unloading the car, not as wonderful when it comes to privacy. I’m suddenly very aware of just how easy it is to see in my windows… which frankly is something I haven’t had to worry about in a good long while. I’ve always thought one of the perks of living alone was being able to keep doors open, and having the luxury of walking around naked on a whim.  Looks like I might have to adjust to that one… or at least make sure all the blinds are closed!

I finally got my chalkboard calendar mounted on the wall , and updated! I started this project in January, right in the middle of my apartment search. I was itching to paint something, and the apartment that I thought I wanted had just fallen through, and I needed a distraction. I got the idea from who else, Martha Stewart, and figured I needed a calendar anyway. I’m really happy with the way it turned out! It looks rather cheerful in my hallway, and its great to have a prominent spot to make lists.

It was actually really easy, just a piece of particle board and some chalk board paint, a ruler and tape! (though I am straight line challenged, so I had some help from my dad) I followed the instructions and mixed in a bit of white paint and grout to make the grey squares, and voila! It adds a bit of country-chic to my already eclectic reading nook, and at the same time a bit of playful whimsy. It makes me wish I was more artistic, or at the very least had better handwriting.


The first thing I put on the shopping list was new chalk. Though the one piece I have is getting me by, it’s rather fatty, and hard to write with, especially in the calendar squares. I mis-placed it for a bit in the move, and so for several days now I’ve been looking at the March calendar, and just itching to update it and start putting some to do lists in the margins. First order of business, buy new chalk.  Second order of business, plan a house-warming party. Oh and maybe find a curtain to put over the front door window.

1 comment:

  1. I love the calendar, it looks so great! I'm jealous that you have such an easy place to make lists...ah, lists. :) Can't wait to see the rest of the new place!

    ReplyDelete