Friday, January 22, 2010

From A to B to C (C being the unknown)


Let me start out by saying that I love my apartment. Yes, I have lived through leaky roofs, mice infestations, multiple parking violations, potential mold issues, poor insulation, a finicky fire alarm, a possible ghosts, plumbing issues, and even a slashed tire. There is no fire-escape (to my knowledge) and it is incredibly loud, so much to the point where people can be having a normal conversation across the street and it sounds like they are sitting next to me on my couch. And yet, with all its flaws, I can safely say that this is my dream apartment.
Perhaps it started out with a somewhat whimsical idea of what I thought my “first post-college apartment” was supposed to be like. Small, charming, decorated with a smattering of mis-matched furniture, and inherited hand-me down items. I remember once, while still in school, shopping at the Farmer’s Market, directly below my current apartment, and looking up to see a couple making out in the window. I felt a little odd for having stumbled across such a personal moment, but I couldn’t help but think how absolutely delicious it would be to be in my twenty’s living a similar life in that exact spot.

The Farmers Market from Apt A
So years later here I am, decorated, settled, embracing the dream…. That is until yesterday, when I found out that the owners of the building are “going in a new direction” AKA I have to leave.
When I first moved into the building, I was not nearly as enchanted. Well, ok that is a lie, I was enchanted with the building, its history, its location (its all about location, location, location) but I was in the small apartment next door.( This apartment is what I call an afterthought…. It wasn’t meant to be lived in Perhaps it was once an office…. )The kitchenette is about a square foot, all the appliances are half the size they should be, and the bathroom, well the bathroom you can hardly turn around it. And yet I loved it. I loved coming home on Thursday evenings and listening to the bustling sounds of the Farmer’s Market. I loved the random street noises, I loved how there was barely enough room for me and my furniture, but I made it work. And I was happy.


Apt A, Pre-move in.... look at the potential

 The mini-Kitchen

All Moved In
 
Post Roof Leak redecorating
A few short months ago, I was ecstatic when I discovered that my next door neighbor had decided to move out. Apparently there is a trend in this building. The tenant in Apartment A (the little afterthought) waits in anticipation until the tenant in Apartment B decides to move on to bigger and better things. Tenant A then swoops in, moves things down the hall in a whirlwind of boxes and excitement, and absolutely relishes the simple delights of once again having a garbage disposal.
Compared to Apartment A, B is like a palace. Firstly, the kitchen is its own room, has endless storage, counter space, dishwasher, garbage disposal, full sized fridge and stove, vaulted ceilings, a skylight, and is painted an ideal color of yellow. You walk in, and it’s warm and charming, and homey, and there is actually room for the dining room table (and you can still open all your cabinets!) Gasp, there is even a full sized pantry, big enough for a 40 bottle wine rack! Then step into the living room, where there are two windows! The couch actually fits in the corner, and there is room for the bookshelves and ottoman, knitting baskets etc. There is a coat closet (or in my case shoe closet). To be fair, the bedroom is six inches smaller in Apartment B, but this is made up for by the bigger closet, and bathroom which is literally two times bigger than the one in Apartment A. Ok, so the toilet flushes by itself. Does it really matter when you have two medicine chests and a claw-foot tub?
 


 Looking Out my Window

Happy Kitchen Plants

 
Archway

Living Room
I’ve been living here, in my personal apartment heaven for three blissful months, contemplating the dinner parties I will have, eagerly looking forward to installing window boxes full of herbs, and in general thinking about how thrilled I am to be here. And now it is all coming to an end. Goodbye yellow kitchen, goodbye, spacious living room, goodbye ideal location.
When it comes down to it, I know I could be living in a larger space for the same amount of money…. But I’m not paying for the space; I’m paying for the experience. Living right down town, in a historic building where each apartment has its own little quirks. I love the old brick in the hallway, and the dark wood trim, the high ceilings and the old feel of the building. I love the character of my apartment, the life that it has taken on, not to mention the location.
I could write for hours about why Cowls street is the most ideal location for a twenty-something year old gal. (Or really anyone for that matter) But for brevity sake, I will simply list some of my favorite features within a four block radius.
Within one block of my front door I can find almost anything that I would ever need in life.
There is:
·         A seasonal Farmer’s Market
·         Locally owned grocery store (which keeps me in Organic produce, sandwiches, and natural cold & flu remedies)
·         Tapas restaurant and bar
·         The best sushi in town
·         Coffee shop
·         Italian greasy spoon
·         Medical supply store (which came in handy this summer when I was cooped up with a staph infection)
·         Pharmacy
·         Stationary store
·         Knitting shop
·         One of the best breakfast places in town
·         Wine shop & gourmet cheese retailer
·         Computer tech support
·         Cooking shop
·         Bookstore
·         Record shop
·         A delightful little bistro (which has great mac and cheese)
·         Funky clothing store
·         A ball room
·         My favorite dive bar
·         Chocolate Shop
·         Two ATM’s.
·         A wine bar / Tasting room
·         Larger than life statue of Ben Franklin (which is creepy, but a feature none-the-less)
And that is just within one block. Let me now expand out two blocks
·         The Public Library
·         A park
·         Lunch place featuring the best broccoli cheese soup in town
·         Clothing store specializing in designer jeans
·         Pizza place/ movie theater
·         Local bakery  
·         Another locally owned coffee shop
·         Photography studios
·         Two more wine bars
·         A rooftop bar
Within 3 blocks:
·         Old Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor
·         My favorite breakfast place
·         Gourmet Italian Food
·         My favorite local clothing store

·         Two more wine bars (what do you expect, it’s the Willamette Valley.)

·         A Yoga studio  
·         Jewelry & accessory store
·         Delicious cafĂ©
·         Another kitchen store
4 blocks:
·         Bead store
·         Bicycle shop
·         Thai Restaurant (AKA my home away from home, or at least my main food source away from home)
·         French Bistro
And these are only the places that I frequent on a regular basis! There are countless other businesses and amenities located mere feet from my front door!  I can honestly say (as clichĂ© as it may be) that this apartment, this location is the things that dreams are made of…. And now I am gearing up to say goodbye.
I’m not quite sure yet what I’m doing, and where I am going. Not that being forced out of an apartment is ever convenient…. But it would be really nice if I had heard back from graduate schools before having to sign a new lease. Meh, C’est la vie I suppose.



1 comment:

  1. Waaahh, you're going to make me cry! Cute little downtown apartment!! Boohoo... :(

    ReplyDelete