Saturday, March 13, 2010

Truffle Shuffle

What is it about moving that brings out my inner hostess? Get me into a new space, and before I've even finished unpacking boxes, I've already mentally started planning an appetizer menu, and start dreaming about summer fetes on my porch.

This most recent move was no different, and before I even had things hung up on the wall, I was already dreaming about sweet basil sangria, late summer brunches, and of course the inevitable housewarming party.


These dreams are often rather anti-climatic, as people make other plans, and conflicting schedules don't always allow my parties to live up to their full potential, but a girl can dream! Of course my dreams of sophisticated parties with high end wine, exotic appetizers, and a certain Martha Stewart flare don't always align with my current lifestyle/ budget. I know my friends would be just as happy with drinking games, tater-tots, and bagel bites, but sometimes a girl just needs to throw a grown up party!

I can't help it, my inner foodie busts out, and there is no containing it. There is something undeniably satisfying about creating a menu, sticking with a theme, and creating creative nibbles. And so I plan, and I shop, and I cook, and I dream, and I throw housewarming parties filled with gourmet endeavors, and dream of the day when "Grown-up" parties are common-place.

So this week, I fully embraced my domestic goddess, and decided for my next party I was going to make home-made chocolate truffles. Impressive right? Only, they are maybe the easiest dessert I have ever made! Seriously, they take almost no effort! Granted, my home-made truffles are a little abstract looking, and not the most attractive truffles in the world, but they are never-the-less delicious.

Melting the Chocolate, Butter & Olive Oil

I was turned onto a recipe from the California Olive Ranch, and all you really need is a double boiler, and a melon baller (though I think a spoon would work almost as well) and Voila, you too can be an instant gourmet. Trust me, your friends will be impressed the next red wine party you show up to with a tray full of Olive Oil chocolate truffles. They are the perfect combination of sweet and savory, as they are dusted in cocoa powder, and even have a pinch of sea salt in them. Needless to say, I'm excited to entertain tonight, and I cannot wait to get home, open up a bottle of red wine, and enjoy the fruits of my gourmet labor.

Block of "truffles" ready to be formed

The Finished Product

 
To view the recipe, and find other delightful olive oil inspired treats, visit the California Olive Ranch Website.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word, if I wasn't coming already, I would have dropped anything to taste these!! They sound amazing! I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete