Saturday, May 8, 2010

Blast from the Past

I'm still trying to figure out who ever thought/ said that High School was the best time of your life...seriously, I'd like to track down that person/ those people and punch them right in the face. (and I'm deeply sorry for those of you who think that high school truly was the best time of your life... I'm hopeful that if you think that you are still in high school, and if you are out of high school and still think that... well I send you my regrets. Lets agree to disagree)

But let's not dwell on the past, I only bring this up because I am currently at a high school prom (one is being thrown at my place of work, I'm not here attending) and every ounce of me is so thankful that High School and Proms are behind me. I'm still trying to figure out the fashion... Granted, I'm sure I didn't look overly amazing at all of the proms I attended. Anyone who has eaten at the Bearcreek Saloon & Steakhouse in the past ten years can attest to that( There may or may not be a picture of me at my Freshman prom hanging on the wall close to the restroom... Only in Montana do you go to saloons where there are nightly pig races for your prom dinner.) Though I will not delude myself with thinking that I had the best taste in High School, I still like to think that my dress choices were a little more timeless and classic than the dresses being worn today. Are that many rhinestones really necessary?

That being said, even with the rhinestone factor, this prom is a little more high class than any of the ones I attended. My high school barely had 200 students (the whole school, not just my class) so over the top proms were really not an option. I would have loved to have Prom in a private event space at an Olive & Lavender Farm! This setting is a little more ideal than a high school gym... and from what I can tell the music is a lot better as well At least right now they are listening to some Black Eyed Peas. I partially blame the music and the gym on growing up in Montana, but in all seriousness, there is absolutely no reason why the last dance at my senior prom should have been to "Proud to be an American". Who wants to slow dance "Proud to be an American?" Apparently half of my class, who were all on the dance floor thinking it was the greatest thing since sliced bread... I fled to Oregon shortly thereafter and have not looked back.

I considered putting on a black cocktail dress before coming to work this evening, after all how many times a year do you have an occasion to break out your one and only Nicole Miller little black dress? But I just couldn't do it, I put Prom in my past, and settled on turquoise tights, and a more sensible black sheath dress, both stylish and professional. Apparently the work is looking for me, 'cause when I walked into work this afternoon my Boss's twelve-year-old grandson stopped in his tracks and said "Wow!" I guess I can still turn a few heads even without the formal wear...too bad more men don't visit my place of work, cause it would be nice if the heads I was turning weren't attached to a twelve-year-old.

If I could go back and do it all over again I think my prom dress would look very similar to the dress worn in Dirty Dancing Havana Nights (don't judge me because I have watched/own that movie.... it is majestic in it's own way... the completely awkward one-liners, Patrick Swayze looking very plastic, Diego Luna shaking his hips, the fashion, the revolution, the dancing)


No comments:

Post a Comment