Sunday, December 12, 2010

Crafting, Carbs, Christmas...

I have been looking forward to this time of year for ages... and not just because of the holidays (though, is anyone else obsessed with the Glee Christmas CD?) A week from now I'll be through with my yoga program, the office will be shutting down for a few weeks and I'll finally be getting to some of the things on my ever growing personal to do list. I have dates planned with knitting projects, a giant list of books, recipes I want to try, real weekends to fill, sewing projects, planning yoga classes... oh glorious glorious free time. 

 Ok, so I'm faking the happy part a little bit... Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the projects, and excited for the free time... some of my plans recently shifted, and I had to make some mental and emotional adjustments about how I would be filling my weeks off of work (no surprise that emotional adjustments can be tricky)...and so I'm trying to fill the void with craft projects... So far it's not working, but the list is long, and I figure its a healthier distraction than the 12 Holiday Breads from Red Fox Bakery (which will continue to be my distraction of choice for the rest of the month).

I'm not going to ramble on about breakups or trying to master my own personal contentment... no one really wants to hear about that anyway (not that you want to hear about my craft projects either, but they are a bit more cheery than the alternative)

Project Number 1: Lavender Eye Pillows... January 17th I start teaching yoga! My first project is lavender eye pillows to use during Savasana... I know Oregon can be pretty dreary in the winter, but the room I'm teaching in is full of windows... my prop supply may be limited, but at least my students will have a dark and tranquil way to end their weekly practice.

Project Number 2: A New Collage. I don't know what it is that I find so cathartic about cutting up old magazines, but I seriously love it. I never really know what I'm looking for, but stuff just jumps off the page at me, and its fun to come up with something eclectic. I actually had started working on putting a collage together as part of a Christmas gift for someone... He's not getting a gift anymore, but I figured I might as well make lemonade as the saying goes... hopefully I turn out with something fun. It's also interesting to see what sort of stuff pops out at you depending on your state of mind/ mood. I don't think this will actually make the final collage, but it did make me think that the universe has a sense of humor.


It's also interesting to see what sort of stuff pops out at you depending on your state of mind/ mood. I don't think this will actually make the final collage, but it did make me think that the universe has a sense of humor.

Project Number 3: Another Cowl Neck Scarf... I made one earlier in the year, and I'm slightly obsessed with it (those who know me, know that I wear this thing several times a week) I got some lovely yarn for my birthday, and its just been sitting around for the past six months. I cannot wait to convert it into my next wearable item.

Project Number 4: Cloth Napkins... ok not that I do a lot of entertaining, but there is always the dream of fun dinner parties, brunches and get togethers...plus they are practical.

I also have plans for things like oven friend chicken, bread pudding, and other culinary projects involving hearty wintery comfort foods...

Crafting, Carbs, and Christmas... my three-step plan to get me through the next couple of weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being able to teach Yoga! What fun! Good luck with the projects and ya screw him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, cloth napkins are so easy and fun! Get a really nice linen, because it has such a satisfying napkin-y feel. So fun!

    ReplyDelete