Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Here I am

Last night I had a bout of insomnia between 2:30 and 5:30ish... I laid in bed planning out my yoga sequencing for the day, and when I tired of that I started to write poetry in my head. I do this often, being mostly inspired at night, however whenever I get up to write something down it seems to vanish, or simply reject the idea of being put into tangible words. So instead I repeat verses to myself over and over, hoping that when I wake up, they or some version of them are still lingering in my head. 

Sometimes it works, others not so much, but as I was awake for quite a while I had a chance to compose in my brain, dwell on the words.... So when I got up this morning it was pretty easy to take my sleep deprived ramblings and get them on paper. Mostly... 

It's still not quite right... there are things I know I left out... and some things that just didn't work... this is exactly why I need a writing group... to switch things up, bounce things around, arrange and re-arrange, edit.... (though admittedly it is also exhilarating to write something and put it out there without having time to over-think it)

Anyway... here is what I came up with


Here I am
Writing a poem about us
Though there is no longer an “us”
Just you and me as individuals
together in our separateness.

I could write a poem about the intense
blue of your eyes
or the way your beard smells of tobacco
of how our kisses were perfect
how our oddities entwined
like hands holding each other…
But infatuation is overdone
and everyone can relate to heartache

My questions are many
your words few
though they assuage
the fissures of my heart
the best they can.
Sticks and stones people say
But I know better
I know the potential heartache of
words,
or a lack thereof
The situation robbed of potential
Stolen away like a thief in the night…
and here I thought I liked surprises.

I’m missing everyday moments
You
your touch
I’m missing what was there
and also what wasn’t
I used to dwell in possibility
maybe now too much on what was
and who likes the feeling of moving backwards
when forward motion is the trend?
Moving forward is not the same as moving on.

Here I am
Right where you left me
My heart still open…

2 comments: