Friday, September 16, 2011

Clearly I need to wear red more often

Lately I’ve been sort of slacking on my fashion… It happens when you get to wear yoga pants to work twice a week… But it became rather apparent to me exactly how slacking, when I threw on a casual dress for a work event on Wednesday, and every single person on staff made a comment. “Wow you look really nice today” “Oh I LOVE that dress” “Red is definitely your color” … clearly my wardrobe slacking has been apparent to everyone but myself… But it was a good reminder that when you dress the part, good things happen… so it should have been of no surprise that while wear said dress, I was offered a chance to become a mistress and move to Argentina…

I blame it on my Project Runway obsession mixed with my real world practicality. I love getting dressed up for things, but sometimes the added work just means more laundry. So I decided to throw on something in the morning that I could easily wear later that evening on a date. Gotta love the outfits that are both work and date appropriate. It was just a simple shirt dress, perfect for summer, and great into fall. Nothing fancy, no bells, no whistles, but the punch of color mixed with the casual feel give the dress just the right mix of everyday and showstopper. (it really is a fabulous dress, and it was fabulously inexpensive. Thank you H&M)

I really should have put out a tip jar or something, because the second I was introduced for the wine tasting, I was met with a roomful of applause (not something that typically happens during my work day). Yes, there was a huge language barrier… but applause and whispers of “red dress” translate fairly well. I had no idea I was going to be pouring wine for a room full of male, Argentinean, Chain saw sales men… and in the end I like to think it was my sparkling personality that impressed them more than the red dress… but I’m not holding my breath.

the red shirt dress in question...
When my dad was in middle school the girls were not allowed to wear red because the administration thought the boys wouldn’t be able to control themselves… not even kidding. Though normally,  I like to think that idea is a little archaic, the whispers of “red dress” were filling the room… so I put on a smile, and muddled my way through a conversation with non-existent Spanish skills, and their broken English. I stopped to pour a glass of wine, and immediately everyone at the table was asking what my tattoo said. I never think to cover it up, as it doesn’t bother anyone at work, and I seldom think people are looking at my feet anyway, but apparently it was rather intriguing to this group. So there I was, two bottles of wine in hand, trying to explain to them the meaning of “Tell me what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life.” I’m not entirely sure they understood, but as they seemed to try to piece the meaning together one of them said “our life wish is to get you to come home with us to Argentina”

A few moments later I was being introduced to Tito, who according to his friends, is a “very important man in Argentina” I smiled, and continued to pour the wine. It would have never worked. I don’t speak an ounce of Spanish, and he was old enough to be my father. Though I spent a few moments imaging the young translator I could have hired, and my life in Argentina… Tayler, Tito, and Toby. I’m kidding. But the whole experience did solidify that I was wearing the exact right dress for that evening.

Clearly I need to wear red more often…




1 comment:

  1. Aaaahahahaha. Favorite line of this blog: "It would have never worked." Like you even considered it!

    ReplyDelete