Tuesday, September 6, 2011

effortless summer dinner


I love this time of year. There is the potential for fall, for change, but the days are still hot and longish feeling, and the food is still fresh and seasonal. I love that an entire meal can be inspired by a single tomato (heck it could almost be the entire meal) and that this time of year the ingredients can me minimal and simple to produce the best tasting things. Simplicity.

Last night I harvested a basket of sungold tomatoes (as I do almost every day… they are taking over my life and my garden) I threw several handfuls into a large skillet with a drizzling of olive oil, a bit of sel gris, and a few bits of savory and let them simmer. A bit of pasta, some basil leaves, and mozzarella cheese, all thrown together in a bowl and sprinkled with salt. It doesn’t get much simpler, or much better. Hot fresh ingredients, not over-powered by a bunch of foof and flashy presentation, just pure flavor.

It’s the type of meal best consumed on the front porch, with a mason jar full of (insert beverage of your choice here), and some good company or a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment