Monday, January 30, 2012

Because I wish I was more likely to meet a guy on a yoga mat, rather than at a bar

Last night while surfing the web I stumbled across an on-line article entitled “ 5 Reasons Why Dudes Should Practice Yoga”. I was intrigued to read on, as earlier in the week I was having a conversation with a male friend about guys who do yoga. His response was of course something along the lines of “yoga is for sissy men” which of course lead to a huge eye roll from me, and a retort of “Real men do yoga”.

Realistically the classes that I teach have more men than women. And actually they are all pretty manly men. Yes, most of them are there with their wives or significant others, but I’m here to tell you, there is nothing sissy about yoga (ask the guys in my Wednesday Night Vinyasa class… their hamstrings may never be the same).

So when I stumbled across this article, written by a man, I was curious as to what his 5 reasons were. I couldn’t help but laugh a little at his last two “It’s a cheap date” and “The women” though the more I got to think about it, he is pretty spot on. I’m not suggesting that all you single men out there should head out to the nearest yoga class to start creeping on women… BUT I am saying, yeah there are a lot of women who go to yoga classes, and a lot of us are single. And realistically I am not the type of girl who likes to go out by myself and sit at bars or restaurants hoping to meet someone. I’d rather pour myself a glass of wine at home and put my feet up than sit awkwardly at a bar and spend money on a cocktail or two… but I have no problem grabbing my mat and heading to a yoga class by myself. And the truth of the matter is that I’m much more likely to strike up a conversation with the person on the next mat, than at the next bar stool. Not only that, but even when my schedule gets busy, I still make time to get to a yoga class… other projects and leisure activities can drop off the deep end, but since I’m teaching I’m guaranteed to be in at least 4 classes a week… you might not run into me out on the town, but your odds of running into my at a yoga class are pretty damn good. I’m not saying this is a call to all single men out there to get to my yoga classes. But I am saying that the article might actually have a point. I mean if people meet at the gym, why not at a yoga class? I don’t think this necessarily is true yet for McMinnville… as I mentioned most of the men I know who are taking yoga are there with their wives or significant others, but since it seems as though more and more of my time is going to be spent at yoga studios, I am kinda hoping this is a trend that changes. Maybe I AM kinda putting out a call for single men to come do yoga… but only if you are there for the right reasons, and not to check out ladies in stretchy pants.  

Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part… but to some degree isn’t that how people start dating? Aren’t you supposed to go out there and do activities and things that you enjoy and that fulfill you, and maybe along the way meet someone who has a similar passion or interest? Is it really so crazy to think that I might meet my someone at a yoga class?  Maybe in this particular community it is a little much to ask, that I find a handsome single yogi who isn’t too out there, who tolerates baseball (preferably passionate about the Red Sox… but I’d handle toleration) and who puts up with a dog who snores louder than any man I’ve ever known… It’s a stretch… obviously, I haven’t managed to find that person yet. But the second I let go of my hopeless romantic optimism that this particular guy has to be out there somewhere, is the second I start drinking more wine and stop getting out of bed, so I just keep plugging away, eternally hopeful. (totally frustrated, but hopeful.... I realize I might not find him at a yoga class, but a girl can dream).

I also agree with the article that going to a yoga class would be a great date, though my same male friend thinks I’ve totally missed the mark. Sure, yoga isn’t the best place to have a conversation or deeply get to know a person… but then again, neither is going to the movies, or going bowling (I don’t know if people actually go bowling on dates… but they might). Why not go to a yoga class, be a little active, have a common experience, and then go out for a drink afterwards? I tend to be a fan of more active dates where there is something more to do than just have conversation. I’d rather be up doing things, because it is less obvious when you awkwardly fidget or search for conversation. I realize that I am passionate about yoga, and so this seems like a natural activity for me… it also sounds ideal, because it eliminates the “oh what do I wear” debacle, and frankly most of my yoga clothes look better on me than my regular clothes. It is true, that I have often said I am the best version of myself while practicing yoga, and so maybe that is why this appeals to me so much. Why wouldn’t I want a date to see me at my best, to be sharing something with me that I love? I realize not everyone is on the same yoga train that I am, but I really think there are far worse places to take a date than to a yoga class. 


In the meantime, I’m going to be thankful for the male students that I do have in class, because they totally change the dynamic of a practice, and I guess I’ll just have to rely on my baby bulldog to be my yoga date for now. And we can be the best single versions of ourselves, together.



No comments:

Post a Comment