Thursday, June 14, 2012

jumping in fearlessly.

I have one week left as a 26 year old… This time next week, I’ll be celebrating the longest day of the year, and officially entering into my late 20s. I’ve been taking a bit of a hiatus from blogging… not that I’ve been doing anything terribly exciting, or terribly time consuming, but sometimes life just gets in the way… and sometimes living life is more important that writing about it.

As I was out working in my garden today, I realized that my new outlook on life is to approach things fearlessly. This is  a little different than fearless abandon, but as I rapidly approach my birthday I am doing the cliché life reflection thing, and lately it seems like I’ve been jumping into a lot of things feet first… and I really really like it.

I was transplanting a bunch of tomatillos this afternoon… I have no idea if they are going to survive (I only sort of know what I’m doing when it comes to gardening… but I often pretend that I do, and figure the learning curve will kick in eventually, and if it doesn’t, I have a handful of Master Gardeners at my disposal… it’s all gonna work out). As I was watering the very wilted plants, and sending them good vibes, I realized that it was ok for me to approach my gardening with a bit of reckless abandon. I might have no idea what I’m doing, but why not give it a try? Why not try to transplant the volunteer tomatillos that un-expectedly sprung up in my garden? What do I have to lose? If there were ever a situation to jump into fearlessly it’s a garden project… I have 14 raised beds… if the tomatillos don’t survive, its onto the next experiment, the next plant, the next crop. And if they do, it’s a summer of salda verde! I have 7 tomato plants… what am I going to do with that many tomatoes? I have no idea… hopefully sauce, and can, and cook and dry… and 5 cucumber plants! I think there will be a lot of salads in my future… this might be the downside of approaching gardening with fearless abandon… (I might be afraid of the tomatoes come August, I’ll get back to you)


As of today there were 32 bean plants!

I am also in the process of moving… again. You’d think I’d learn by now that moving once a year isn’t the most fun activity. Packing sucks! But, moving from an apartment into a house is a rather exciting transition. It’s not my dream house, and it is by no means perfect, but it is so full of potential! Did I mention the giant back yard, and the 14 raised garden beds? Or the cherry tree, apple trees, fig tree, plum tree, marionberries, raspberries, tay-berries, (is that a sign or what? It’s like I’m supposed to live there!) and a shed that could potentially be turned into a chicken coop? You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need (that song is actually playing on Pandora right now, and it seemed really fitting) This house doesn’t have everything that I want, but it has enough, and this twenty-something and her bulldog are pretty excited about it.  I am getting a little nostalgic about leaving my neighborhood… I’ve honestly lived within a 5 block radius for the past 4 years! I love being 2 blocks from the farmers market, but I will still be a short bike ride away, and I cannot even tell you how excited I am to be leaving the road construction nightmare behind! Plus now that I’ll be living on a street with less traffic, and a real driveway, I think it is high time Toby learned to skateboard.

Moving into a bigger space, means a rent increase, and with that comes a roommate… I might not be approaching this fearlessly, but I’m working on it. I have lived by myself for the last 5 years, and I know that suddenly cohabitating is going to be an adjustment,  and though I love my future roommate I would be lying if I said I didn’t have some reservations.  I’ve had 5 years to accumulate stuff, get stuck in my ways, and 5 years of having my own space (minus the bulldog, but he and I don’t share the bathroom, and he definitely doesn’t care if I run down the hallway naked…) But again, I’m jumping in with both feet. I’m trusting that we are both adults and that a new living arrangement will not over-extend our friendship. I’m trusting that we can keep it a drama-free household, and hopefully Toby doesn’t munch on any of her furniture! (realistically, I hope he doesn’t munch on too much of it… let’s face it, this bulldog put everything in his mouth. He’s going to eat something)

And now I’m going to bed, so I can fearlessly get up at 5AM to get to a yoga fusion class. Some things area easier to jump into than others… but I’m trying to become a morning person…maybe I'll be successful at it when I'm 27.



No comments:

Post a Comment