Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Special Delivery


I opened up my mailbox yesterday and was thrilled to find my latest on-line purchase happily awaiting me.  Though I certainly don’t have an aversion to real-life shopping, there is something quite wonderful about having access to millions of stores without leaving the comforts of your own bedroom. No need to put on clothes or shoes, or even get out of bed when almost anything you could ever need could be delivered to your doorstep.
Though typically I enjoy the experience of trying something on (unless of course it is jeans… no one likes to try on jeans) there are so many moments when clicking a button and waiting 5-7 business days is just so much more enjoyable. I don’t get a lot of catalogs, and I’m not on many mailing lists, so I love days when I open up my mail box to find something other than bills and junk mail.
Shipping and Handling can be kind of a bitch, and if I lived in the city I probably wouldn’t indulge in on-line retail therapy quite as much. But as it is, I don’t always have the time to make a trip to Portland, and even when I do there is always the off chance that the stores don’t have quite what I’m looking for.  Currently I’m in the market for a shower curtain. I’ve shopped around, compared prices, and when I finally made an executive decision on which design and color I liked the store I went to didn’t have it in stock. I should have saved the time, put my gas money towards shipping, and called it a day.
 Though I’m all about shopping locally, and do so whenever possible, even the best small communities have their limits.
The other great thing about on-line shopping is the anonymity.  I’m much more inclined to impulse buy things online than in an actual store because there is no one to pass judgment on your purchases.  Sure, sometimes we need that extra filter, and I do have a few regrets about on-line purchases I’ve made in the past (so maybe I didn’t really need the Red Sox M&M’s…) but impulse purchases aside, we all have a few items that we would rather not parade through a check out. An item from a previous blog post comes to mind…


My most recent on-line purchases, (the ones that arrived yesterday)  were two pair of leggings, and a Red Sox pumpkin carving kit. Yes, I’m a nerd, but I think it is well justified. I’m constantly telling my brother he is all dead on the inside (I mean it in the best way possible) since he is never one to participate in any sort of holiday tradition. It is impossible to get him to play in the snow, dye Easter eggs, decorate the Christmas tree, or partake in any sort activity that lends itself to the nostalgia of our childhood.  Thankfully, my sister-in-law is the exact opposite so we try to guilt him into various activities. It seldom ever works and he tends to sits around like a scrooge, so this Halloween I am enticing him with baseball pumpkins… I am admittedly more excited about it than he is, but who wouldn’t want a Red Sox themed jack-o-lantern?

A few of my online- faves.
www.Etsy.com   Bliss in a website. I could spend hours browsing through its endless boutiques. It encompasses everything that is good and wonderful about on-line shopping, limitless selections and it can be local!
The Sundance Outlet - Thought I don't purchase from here often its my favorite for accessories. 
http://www.basbleu.com/ a fabulous independent book seller.
http://www.chowdaheadz.com/My source for bosox gear.
www.victoriassecret.com There are always way better selections on line. Trust me, after my skirt incident this was the first order placed.
www.sephora.com  Make up mecca.

No comments:

Post a Comment