Tuesday, December 6, 2011

questionable fashion, or time saver?


Yesterday was the type of day where I stayed in my yoga clothes ALL day… It was a Monday, and my first day off in a while, and since I was book-ending my day with yoga classes, it seemed sensible just to wear them all day. My time is valuable, and as a woman who seems to spend an inordinate amount of time doing laundry, I figured, what is the point in changing? Was I stylish? Not exactly… did I have several errands to run, absolutely… but sometimes it is rather freeing not to give a damn, and just go for it. I half expected Stacey & Clinton to pop out from behind a bush somewhere as I walked around McMinnville telling me me I’m on What Not to Wear… brown yoga pants, bright orange running jacket, black down vest, red leg warmers, pink sock… rubber shoes… ok, it was pretty bad, but I just couldn’t muster up the motivation to change. Why spend all that time primping & prepping and folding and unfolding, and changing, when after a few hours out and about, I was just going to change right back?

I’m sure my clownish yoga fashions are probably not helping me find a boyfriend… but even so, I still have a hard time justifying the change of clothing. If it were any other day but Monday, if I were actually going into Portland, if I had an important meeting… then yes, by all means, I would put on something else… But not on my free day… I think that makes me low maintenance (I’ve been told that is an attractive trait right? Now if only I can get guys to see past the leg warmers) So I walked to the bookstore, went into the bank, the wine shop, the veterinarian’s office, the pet store… all while dressed somewhat like a homeless yoga clown… and I’m ok with that.

I was working an event on Sunday at work, and I was reminded just how comfortable I was in my own skin. It was a sorority function, and I have nothing against sorority girls, in fact I have several friends who were/are sorority girls, but there I was, in my holy jeans, flannel shirt, and hipster hair cut… and it was like mixing oil with water. Short skirts, skin tight dresses, long flowing hair, plethora’s of makeup…. And that is all good and fine… but it is so not me. I can dress up with the best of them, and my make-up collection takes up several drawers in my bathroom. I love sparkly outfits, and getting fancy. I have more lipstick than I know what to do with. But I’m also perfectly comfortable putting on my Dansko clogs, a pair of jeans, and my down vest. I like being practical, and comfortable…. And more often than not, that leads me to my tee shirts and jeans. Am I in a fashion rut? Maybe…. Does it matter? Not really. Because I am perfectly ok with who I am. Did I feel a little frumpy in my flannel amongst all the mini-skirts & mascara… a little bit, but as a woman on the go who is trying to wrangle a puppy, teach yoga, and just keep it together… mini-skirts and high heels don’t often fit into my fashion line up. Maybe some day… but for now, I’m perfectly content with my hot pink socks and my red leg warmers, and my busy, but happy lifetstyle. And hopefully my questionable fashion days aren’t preventing me from meeting the guy of my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment