Wednesday, April 4, 2012

5 down, 10 to go

So apparently the universe was listening when I started bitching about the weather. Angry blog post on Sunday, sunny weather on Monday. It was pretty perfect, I got to throw on a dress and a brightly colored cardigan, I got to walk the dog, and frolic outside… and it was pretty perfect. Just a little hint of spring to keep me going.

I am also happy to report that the pound down is going well! Maybe not right on track, but definitely headed in the right direction. I’m 1/3 of the way there, with 11 weeks to go. A little more discipline, and a little more running if/when the weather cooperates, and I think I will hit my goal… 
It has been a bit of a challenge, especially not drinking during the week. Last night I was so tempted to open a bottle of wine! I was a little disappointed because I found out that a deal fell through on a house I was looking at… and of course being me, I had gotten way ahead of myself, picking out paint colors for the kitchen, and imagining summer barbeques… planning on building a dog house for Toby… the works. The house was perfect, lots of character, giant bedrooms, tons of storage, a dishwasher, laundry room, pantry, awesome yard, garden space, right downtown… pretty much EVERYTHING I’ve ever wanted in a house… but I guess it wasn’t meant to be. But I did have a little self control, and drank a diet soda instead of a cocktail… still not the best thing for me, but it could have been worse!

Thus far I think my nutrient/ appetite savior has been breakfast smoothies. I’m kind of obsessed with them. I love just being able to throw a bunch of fruits and vegetables in the blender and whipping up a nutrient dense and healthy breakfast. It is nice to start the day off with some vegetables… a little spinach, celery, sometimes kale, blended together in a delicious way, add in a little flax seed, almond milk, banana, and apple… it’s a powerhouse of a breakfast.

I have been a little peeved reading the USDA guidelines though… who comes up with these? Apparently I am supposed to be eating 5 cups of starchy vegetables a week, and only 1.5 cups of green leafy vegetables. Per week! Does this make sense to anyone? I practically get 1.5 cups of green leafy vegetables per meal… am I actually supposed to buy that at my age, weight, and physical activity level that more potatoes are what I need?  Also I’m eating more fruit than is recommended… but I’m sorry, you cannot tell me that eating a banana for a snack is worse for me than a handful of chips… I don’t care what the sugar content is.  It is pretty frustrating to think that these are the guidelines that schools are following for children… also what happened to the food pyramid? I know it might have been a little confusing to follow, but now everything is a plate diagram (that you can’t even find when you go to the website) and its so contradictory! ½ of my plate is supposed to be fruits and vegetables, and yet for my age and weight, I’m only supposed to consume 2 servings of fruit per day… which I get at breakfast… what about the other 2 meals?  My family is getting tired of me bitching about this… but I find it really irritating! And don’t even get me started about what food is considered to be in the “grain” category…

Overall,  I think it just has to be a little bit like yoga. Take what you need from it, leave the rest… I’m eating healthier, I’m trying to be more mindful of exercise, and what I’m putting into my body… and if I’m not getting enough starchy vegetables… well I’m ok with that. (vodka is made from potatoes right? Does that count?)

No comments:

Post a Comment