Sunday, April 1, 2012

Closet purging, and the potential for some amazing spring time ensembles...

I've had the entire weekend off... something that doesn't happen often. I think I can count on one hand the number of full weekends I've had where I didn't have to go into work for at least a few minutes. Hello Free time! I was amazed at how much I got accomplished. I taught a yoga class, had a leisurely coffee, cleaned my entire closet, made a collage, got drinks with friends, had brunch,did laundry, made dog treats/ fixed dog toys, made lists, (ok,ok I even went into work for a few minutes out of guilt and sheer "I'm not entirely sure what I should be doing, so maybe I"ll just stop in and make sure that I'm really not needed, but the internet was down, so I ran away happily.) I've walked the dog, and even took the time to do an olive oil hair treatment!  A girl could really get used to this "normal" weekend business.

I usually spend at least one weekend day working in a blaze of glory, the other weekend day recovering from the work day, and then a frantic Monday trying to squeeze in exercise, grocery shopping, a weeks worth of laundry and cleaning, and desperately trying to mentally prepare for going back to work the next day.  Not this weekend! In large part because my boss is out of town, so I've been spending less time at the office (not less time working mind you, just lest time putting on real clothes, packing a lunch, and spending a full day at work...frankly I'm way more productive at home in my yoga pants with a pot of coffee).

Perhaps the biggest accomplishment was cleaning out my closet. I have to fully admit, when I moved in about a year ago, I pretty much just threw everything in the closet and said "I"ll organize later"... it was functioning, but was in desperate need of a little purging. The end result is a completely re-arrange, color coded closet, that is just bursting with potential. The weather has been so dismal that my outfits have essentially consisted of jeans and tee shirts, sweaters, and sweatshirts... lots of layers, not a lot of dazzle. I am one of those Oregonians who actually enjoys the spring rain, but enough is enough. We got robbed of a real spring last year, and I refuse to be held hostage by the weather again! I want to garden! I want to frolic! I want to not have to wear 3 layers of clothing to work everyday!  While I was cleaning out drawers, and folding and sorting I realized just how many colorful clothing items I have... and yet my fairly constant clothing pallet consists of grey and neutral hues.. I essentially mirror the weather with my wardrobe.  That ends.... well ok when the weather does. I have so many cute springy things that I have had tucked away in a chaotic closet for so long, and I am so inspired to put together some sassy outfits! But I am also a little too practical to be prancing around in spring time outfits while freezing my ass off. (talk to me at the end of April, I'll probably be singing a different tune... but right now it feels like WINTER. WINTER people, its cold and gross)  I'm excited to break out the rainbow of cardigans, the cute blouses, the tunics, and ballet flats... and dare I say, even open toed shoes. I am looking forward to the actual arrival of spring. I'm excited to be able to walk the dog around the block without galoshes.

Look out McMinnville... you just might see me this spring in something other than yoga pants and jeans!

No comments:

Post a Comment