Friday, August 13, 2010

Embracing my life as a glorified squatter... AKA Friday the 13th

I'm not a superstitious person (ok unless it comes to baseball) so when I realized that today was Friday the 13th, I really had no reaction. Just another Friday, get up, do some networking, drink copious amounts of coffee, tie up lose ends at work, mentally prepare for another wedding at work. Typical. Work was un-eventful, and the couple I'm working with tomorrow are an absolute dream (East coast, money is no object, super sweet, really organized) After assisting with their rehearsal dinner I had plans to take myself to happy hour at my favorite roof-top bar, soak up some sunshine, read my book, drink a pitcher of cold beer, eat a veggie burger, and relax.

Sounds nice, right? I'm sure it would have been. Sadly one of my co-workers decided to lock up before making sure I had my belongings out of the office and 5:30 found me locked out of work, my car, my apartment, and essentially my life. Thankfully I was not alone in this adventure, my other co-worker (not the one who managed to lock us both out) was in the same boat, and we both just laughed in disbelief and misery. There are eight people in the entire world who have keys for my office. Seven of said keys them unlock all the doors (including the office) and one of them unlocks only the outer doors. Five of  the keys  were with people who were out of town, two of them were locked in the office, and the one that was maybe on the outskirts of reach was the one that only unlocks the outside.  We were one-hundred percent screwed.

On the bright side, we both had our cell-phones with us... On the down-side my entire family, and the only people with extra keys to my apartment (besides my landlord who will charge me $25 every time they have to come let me in). I had no purse, no book, no wallet (which meant no ID, No Cash, No Credit Cards) no car keys, no house keys, no chap stick... I slowly kissed my dreams of cold pitchers of beer goodbye, and devised a plan that involved breaking into my parents house... I might not have clothes or contact solution here, but at least I didn't have to break a window and there is air-conditioning. It could be worse... I found some vodka in the freezer, and I've been able to watch Weeds to my hearts content... so what if I have to do the walk to shame to work in the morning? I'm going to roll up there in my Dad's car wearing the same thing I am right now, and I will have to put on a happy face, and pray that my clients don't judge me. At least if all goes smoothly I'll have time to run home & change before the wedding.  Thankfully My co-workers mother was close by, so she came and picked us up, and drove us both home. At least someone's parents were in town!

It all turned out ok(ish) but I still sort of want to punch the one co-worker in the face. Who locks up the office without double checking to make sure the two people left actually have their keys (I have a bright yellow purse sitting on the desk in our tiny tiny office... one would think she would have noticed it). I have to get up an hour early so I can go to work, get my keys (from the office that will hopefully be un-locked by then, by one of my less than thrilled bosses who had to drive home from a family reunion.... at least this didn't happen when they were out of the country) go home, change my cloths, peel the contact lenses off my eyes, power slam a venti-coffee, go back to work, finish prepping for the wedding, go pick up a CSA, grab lunch, then back to work for my marathon wedding... of all the days to be getting less sleep and running around like a crazy person, this would not have been the one I would have chosen.

I'm still clinging to visions of happy-hour, and praying that I don't get pulled over on my way to work before I have my ID back in my possession.  In the meantime, I'm trying to embrace my status as a glorified squatter...

No comments:

Post a Comment