Sunday, August 22, 2010

Playing House


For the next two weeks I am playing house, as my boss and her husband are on a cruise in Russia (seriously, who goes on a cruise to Russia?) I mentioned in passing a few weeks ago that I would be happy to house-sit so they wouldn’t have to put the dog in the kennel, and a few days ago they decided to take me up on it. I of course had a few ulterior motives, as their house is within walking distance of the office and event space. Two weeks here means that I will never be late for work, and more importantly, that I will be mere feet away from my bed after late-night events.
This comes at the perfect time, as it will hopefully cure my real-estate lust, at least temporarily. Upon walking into the house I immediately started to contemplate ways I could marry into the family. ( I think my options are limited as their only son is married with two kids, and happens to be my other boss… and the next closest male relative is the twelve-year-old grandson…) So here I am, trying on someone else’s life for a bit.
 The house is gorgeous, with luxuries galore, but it is in no way pretentious. It is a very lived in, functional house with a country/ grandmotherly feel.  There are books in every room (so many cook books, its amazing), pictures of the family scattered around, dozens of orchids, mis-matched furniature, odds and ends, and has this comforting element of randomness. My boss and I are kindred spirits in the fact that we are both a little cluttery, and I feel right at home in this house! And then there is the view, which is right out of a movie. The house is literally located in their vineyard, and you step out onto the porch and the entire Willamette Valley is spread out before you. There is a terraced porch, raised beds, intricate fountain, luscious landscaping, there are Buddha statues peaking out everywhere, giant oak trees…. Oh to wake up to this every morning! 

I am utterly content here, with the functional kitchen, wireless internet, satellite TV(they have the MLBTV network… hello Red Sox Games) , access to nature, and the dog to keep me company.  I’ve already established my favorite spot in the house, a gorgeous yellow leather arm chair with matching ottoman. I can curl up with Netflix here, write here, read here, nap here… it’s like sinking into a hug. 

Of course there are a few awkward downsides into stepping into the life of your Boss. Firstly, the proximity to work is a blessing and a curse. I’m already wondering if my days off will really be days off, or if I will find myself walking up to the store, or if the store will come to me. Friday morning as I was getting ready, I opened up the bathroom blind, and there was my co-worker wandering through the drive-way with an armful of flowers. As it is wedding season, and she is doing most of the flowers for our weddings at work, it is really only natural to find her scavenging on the property, but I was reminded of how close to work I really was. Truth be told, I love being at work (I know I’m pathetic, but I’m so in love with my job and the people there!) and my co-worker and I hung out on the porch and drank coffee, but I’m wondering if after two weeks I will be ready to re-gain some distance. And though I am feeling quite at home here, I am constantly reminded that I am not really at home… Friday morning Paul (the Son/ my other Boss) had his daughters at work, and he brought them to the house to make breakfast at 7:50 AM. I was on my way to a networking function, so we stayed out of each other’s way, but it could have been interesting. This is of course perfectly normal, as it is a family owned business, and the grand-kids are out here often. That being said, it is still a bit awkward when you are just out of the shower and your boss is downstairs making breakfast for his children.  The lines between my professional/ personal life were already quite blurry and making coffee with your boss when your hair is still wet is definitely an adjustment. Needless to say I will not be walking around in my underwear in the mornings. I also stopped over here to make lunch one afternoon, and I was planning on watching an episode of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia while I ate. I walked in, and there was Paul, sorting the mail, doing some filing, making business calls. I’m sure it is just as awkward for him, as technically I am in his space, but you can tell we both don’t want to be in each other’s way.
Last night was wonderful as I was able to drive home in two minutes after a wedding, and immediately crawl into the giant bathtub. (it was pretty decadent, as I brought home some cheesecake from the wedding. Yes, I did eat cheesecake in the tub).
Overall, once I adjusted to the noises of a new space, I am loving waking up with someone else’s view. I love the his and her sinks in the bathroom (I have naturally taken over both of them), I made my coffee this morning with a $1,200 espresso maker, and the house-keepers come at 8AM on Wednesday. A girl could get used to this…



No comments:

Post a Comment