Thursday, August 12, 2010

Lusting after Real-estate

Lately I’ve been lusting after Real-estate… it’s very odd, because I am in no way ready to settle down. The idea of picking a place and staying there for all eternity (or until the next real-estate venture comes along) is pretty much terrifying, and yet my senses always perk up when I pass a for-sale sign. My favorite thing to do while I'm running is to pass by houses and think "yes, I could totally live there."

I’ve always been the type of person who wants to have my cake and eat it too. Really what I want is all the benefits of having my own house, with all the perks of a short-term lease. I understand at the age of twenty-five that there is nothing permanent about my life right now. I love having options, and knowing that I could pick up and move at a moment’s notice is rather refreshing. If something more affordable comes along, I have options, should I get into graduate school, I have options, should a new job opportunity across the country present itself, I have options. I, in no way, shape, or form, want to be tied down with home-ownership… and yet, all I want right now is a place of my own.

I am very much torn between putting down solid roots, and staying light on my feet. I love the idea of planting a garden, getting some chickens, painting the walls…and yet I also love the flexibility of renting. Knowing that if my shower breaks it is someone else’s responsibility is pretty amazing.But, it is so disheartening to thinking that I am spending $650 a month on rent, and it is $650 dollars I will never see again. It’s not going towards anything, it’s not paying off anything, I’m not investing, but spending spending spending. When I start to think about the fact that I spend almost $8,000 a year on rent, my heart starts to sink. Because what do I have to show at the end of that year? Yes, I am paying to keep a roof over my head, and its great not having to live out of my car, but when I think about all the money that I could be putting into savings, or towards a house payment, it is almost enough to make me move back in with my parents. Almost.

In the long run, $650 a month for my independence, my own space, my own privacy is a pretty good deal. I know that I could get a roommate and start saving… but I’m not quite ready for that yet. I like knowing that if there is a mess in the kitchen, it’s one that I made, and I love having the bathroom to myself. So I try not to think about what I could be doing with $8,000 extra income a year (buy a bull dog, build up my savings account, go to Europe, pay off my credit card )

I look at my friends who are home-owners, and I totally realize that I’m not there yet. I’m not in the corporate world or on the family track. I don’t need a two-car garage, and an office, and a guest bathroom. I don’t need to accumulate any more belongings, and I certainly don’t’ need any more space. But wanting, wanting is a whole different story. I want to landscape, I want to plant, I want to paint, I want my money to go towards something, towards a future.
Of course generally speaking, I am living paycheck to paycheck, but overall I think I’m doing ok for a person my age. I don’t have any student loans, my car is paid for, and I don’t really have any debt to speak of (minus the fact that I’m still paying off my trip to Boston, and I owe my parents $475.) I have a savings account, and an IRA, I can pay my bills, and manage to save a little money every month. It still makes me cringe to think that almost a quarter of what I bring home in a year goes towards renting a place.

In general, I’m trying to become less attached to material things. I’m trying not to value possessions, and overall I know that it is not “things” that make me happy. But there is something to be said for the tangibility of an investment. I once heard that the dumbest thing a college graduate can do is buy furniture because it ties you down. Certainly a house ties you down a little bit more than a couch and a bookshelf… but at least with a house you are investing in your future.

I am several years away from that sort of investment… so I am trying to appease my desire for real-estate by taking a few house-sitting jobs. I figure if I can’t actually afford to make a down-payment, at least I can live in a fantasy-world for a few weeks and play house without having to worry about a mortgage.

2 comments:

  1. And, with all the painting, landscaping, and lord knows what else that lies ahead in my near future, you are more than welcome to come over and play "home owner" to your heart's content. In fact, we'll give you your own chicken if you want ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so funny that you would write about this, because this is also something i've been suffering from lately. i regularly turn off country roads to check out for sale signs, though i most often judge the house too extravagant for my taste. someday though... i can't wait to do these things too!

    ReplyDelete