Tuesday, March 1, 2011

It's all about little changes

How is it March already? I mean I know February is the shortest month of the year... but come on! Where did this month come from? Yesterday I was feeling a bit more foot-loose and fancy free, and suddenly today, March 1st, I'm feeling the deadlines, events, projects, etc closing in. Moving in two weeks? Terror!

But I'm also really excited by the potential of March. Spring is just around the corner, or so people keep telling me... I look outside and I'm not so sure. Though right now the packing (or lets be honest, the thoughts of packing) are a little daunting, I am quite excited to be starting off my spring in a new apartment. I have been feeling like I'm in a rut, and though I know packing up all my worldly belongings and re-locating isn't going to totally change that, I think it will be just the motivation I need. Since I'm starting fresh with my living situation, I'm ready to start fresh in other areas of my life as well.

I'm actually doing fairly well with my New Years non-resolution, resolutions. Sure, I'm sucking at the cardio, but I am doing a really good job blogging more frequently, and I'm spending more time reading, and consuming a lot more water. Baby-steps. So I'm going to give myself a bit of a resolution boost for the month of March. 
It's no secret that over the past few months (or years, whatever) I am becoming more and more "farmy" And not in the quaint, charming, organic sort of way. More in the wearing holy jeans to work since it is cold and rainy, and there is a good chance that at any given moment I might be asked to help a customer schlep pottery into the back of their car sort of way. And for me the term "farmy" often translates to frumpy. I've transitioned into one of those people who wears yoga pants to the grocery store (and work meetings) and though I DO work on a farm, and until recently I was spending countless hours a week in yoga school and still spend countless hours a week, teaching and taking yoga class, there is really no excuse. Lately I've been feeling paranoid, expecting Stacey & Clinton to pop out from behind some shrub with secret footage, berating my leg wamers and Dave Matthews Band tee shirts that often make their way into my everyday wardrobe... And really, there is a lot to say for being comfortable... but there is also a lot to say about being a twenty-five-year-old professional, and so in March, I'm challenging myself to get out of my fashion rut. This month I'm going to wear real clothes everyday, vary my accessories, and no matter how cold it is, I'm not going to hide behind my down vest (well at least not every day). Don't get me wrong, I'm not striving to impress anyone, and I have no problem with people who wear yoga pants to the grocery store, but sometimes I miss my days of the tasting room work place, when I could wear cute shoes, flirty skirts, and I knew that every piece of my wardrobe from Anthropologie would get ample wearing time. Nowadays comfort and practicality is king, so I don my clogs, and inexpensive jeans, throw on a sweatshirt, and embrace the casualness... And lets be honest, in the midst of a move, I'm sure that is still going to happen,  but this month I'm making sure there is a time and a place for the extra-super casual, and its not EVERYDAY. I'm not going over-board... but I am going to put a little bit more effort in putting together my outfits.

I'm also going to spend everyday in March brushing my teeth like today is the day I'm going to the dentist. Don't get me wrong, I brush my teeth multiple times a day, but lately I'm realizing that your teeth are with you forever, and when you add in the copious amounts of coffee I drink daily, I figure the very least I can do is floss, and spend that entire 2 minutes brushing my teeth.

I'm also going to try to focus on eating more raw food. It's pretty rough this time of year, but I'm becoming more and more aware of how my body feels when I'm stuffing it full of overcooked, reheated, and processed foods all day, and I think I owe it to myself to increase my green leafy intake. It is a bit of a challenge before growing season has really kicked into gear, but I like a good challenge, and I love a good salad.

Keeping on the healthy eating kick, I'm also taking more vitamins this month. I know, in theory, I should be able to get everything I need from my food... but some days you drink 3 cups of coffee, and eat french fries for lunch (ok that day was today), so I'm going the supplemental route. Plus with the overcast days ahead, I'm adding some Vitamin D, extra calcium, and b-12 into the mix.  I feel like a huge dork, but I've actually got one of the days of the week pill-boxes. Its kinda like an advent calendar, for old and boring people...but I began to embrace that roll long ago, so its like a step in the right direction.

As a result of all of these minuscule changes, I'm hoping to feel a bit more like myself... or at least a more energized self. More sass, less frump, new beginnings... But I'm still going to wear flannel.

2 comments:

  1. Just took a vitamin with lunch! Thanks for the reminder Tayler!

    Some of my favorite salad recipes are from Real Simple (also my favorite magazine). Here are two recipes I like to take to work for lunch but they'd be good for dinner too:

    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/green-bean-pasta-salad-00000000042345/index.html

    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/southwestern-chicken-salad-00000000036668/index.html
    (Good without the chicken too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flannel is always professional.

    ReplyDelete