Sunday, March 6, 2011

Who doesn't love a Terrarium?


This weekend at work we had a Terrarium Class. I'm not sure what exactly it is about terrariums, but I'm really quite smitten with them. I know it is probably a phase, but I think I would be content to make one every day! I spend a good fifteen minutes of every work day, walking around the store looking wistfully at all the terrariums. Thankfully, most of the other employees are equally as smitten, so at least we have a bit of a support group. This smittenness with terrariums dates back to September when my dream wedding took place out at work. I'm not looking to get married anytime soon, but everything about this wedding was filed into my "keep in mind for someday" file. Long tables with burlap runners, succulent bouquets, and yes, terrarium centerpieces. It was this blend of rustic elegance, and my co-worker and I stood there awe-struck, mouths agape, and ever sine then I've had this warm & fuzzy feeling towards the indoor container gardens.

The smittenness continued when the Roost catalog arrived at work... (can I please live on every page of this catalog?) Terrariums were heavily featured (as well as countless other yummy things), and it began to fill us with positive reinforcement that we NEEDED terrariums at work...





I think we were all a little disappointed that the class only had 12 people. I mean who wouldn't want to build a terrarium, or six terrariums? Maybe it is a generational thing... I know they are a bit retro, but quite frankly, my generation missed terrariums the last time they were in vogue, and maybe that is why we are going all ape shit for them now. They really are starting to pop up all over the place (just keep your eyes open the next time you are out shopping... trust me, you will start to see them everywhere). I know my attachment to them right now is partially due to the crazy weather we had here last week. I am itching to plant, I am craving spring, yet gardening is still a ways off. What better way to assuage that feeling that creating an adorable little eco-system that can sit in your living room?



I always feel a twinge of disappointment when something that I am so passionately in love with doesn't excite other people. I know, to each his own... and not everyone in the world is going to love baseball, and terrariums and all the other little things that make me tick. I just hate that feeling when I cannot keep my joy contained for another second, and then I realize that my enthusiasm is being wasted on an audience who could care less. Is it too much to want people to be excited that you are excited? I always kid my brother that he is all dead on the inside,  and this week I've been feeling like this is a trait also carried by the rest of my family, as I watch everyone's eyes glaze over as I talk about moving and terrariums. It was the same way when I planned my trip to Boston. I was practically peeing my pants with excitement, hello life long dream coming to fruition, and not a soul even expressed an ounce of excitement. Maybe I was bouncing off the walls enough for everyone...  To be fair, I know I do this when my brother starts talking about teaching, and I also know that since I tend to get really excited about the every-day things, it is really easy for me to get disappointed and hung up on the little things too. (like being disappointed when people aren't more excited about the same things I'm excited about) I can't help it. But I would much rather have this passion for every day experiences than not have any passion at all. 

Granted, I wish that more people in my life (or anyone in my life for that matter) liked baseball, had a passion for planting things, and got excited about things like coloring books, and really good coffee. And Terrariums... I mean who doesn't just love a terrarium?




For those of you out there who are also crushing on Terrariums here are a few great links.
 

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/03/garden/03terrarium.html

3 comments:

  1. Three things:
    1. I just got terrarinspired by this post.
    2. Brian and I are (distantly) in your life and we plant/compost things like MFers. So together, we can have passion for these things.
    3. Let's phone date soon, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love terrariums so much!! Too much, though, since I've killed every single one I've made. Damn.
    I'll just have to admire yours... the hanging ones are my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going to have any more terrarium classes? I'd love to take one...

    ReplyDelete