Monday, April 18, 2011

The Skanquinox is upon us.


When I was in college, one of my good friends coined the term Skanquinox. I’m 95% sure it happened today, or will in the next few. The sun is finally shining… and though I know it is only for a few brief days, people are pouring outside to up their vitamin d intake.

I think I even subconsciously participated over the weekend. No I was not running around a campus quad in a bikini top… but I did wear a skirt to work. It seemed like a sensible choice to me, skirt and knee socks… isn’t this what one wears in the springtime? Apparently not, since my boss and a number of co-workers managed to make a few snide comments about my outfit choice the second I walked in. “Wow, you are really optimistic, aren’t you?” since when does one need optimism to wear a skirt? Sure it was only 50 degrees outside… but it’s been colder than that all spring, my legs have had time to acclimate.
I grew up in Montana, so I am used to the cold… yes, I do like to be warm, but at this point in the year I am ready for sandals, Capri pants, and flouncy spring skirts. And if the only chance to wear them is on a partially sunny, 50 degree day, I will take it!

I woke up this morning to another beautiful day, blue skies, sunshine, birds chirping… I threw on some running shorts and a baseball cap and went for a jog. Sure the air was a little crisp, but it was tolerable in the sunshine, and I was working up a sweat.  I was in my own little running/ sunshine zone, so I about fell over when I woman running in the opposite direction started yelling things at me.  I had my earphones in, so at first I thought she was just saying an obligatory hello as she passed, but when I saw the look of utter disgust and disbelief on her face I figured it was something else…I finally realized that she was yelling at me about not wearing enough clothes in the weather, and how I must be freezing. I’m sure the look I gave her was priceless…

I’ve never been the kind of person to comment on other’s wardrobe choices. I've never felt the need to walk up to a friend or co-worker, and say "oh interesting outfit choice today!"  Sure, if my friends ask an opinion before we go out somewhere, or if we are trying on new things, I’m honest, but I figure if someone has left their house wearing something, they are obviously confident enough in the decision & they don't need me questioning that, or making a snide comment... also who am I to judge? I dress in yoga pants, and flannel half the time!  Therefore it always boggles my mind a little bit when people do not offer me the same courtesy. The other day I walked into work wearing my sun-glasses, and one of my good friends started laughing... I'm not sure why, and neither is she, but she said that the combination of me with my hair curled and my aviator sunglasses just struck her as funny... I wasn't offended, but did find the reaction strange...This sort of thing happens at work quite often. with a very vociferous co-worker. She is 20 years older than I am, and clearly we do not wear similar styles, but I am always so baffled when she starts make snide comments about what I’m wearing. Is it that she would be uncomfortable wearing what I’m wearing? Is she self-conscious about how she would look? Maybe she really does just find my accessories ridiculous, but even so, is there a reason she has to verbalize that? In the three years we have worked together, I have never been a fan of anything she was wearing, but I have yet to tell her that her mom-jeans are right out of the 80’s. Because what is the point? What would I gain out of belittling her wardrobe choices? ( I guess I should ask her what she gets out of belittling mine).

I was wondering the same thing as the woman ran past me this morning. Was it just the mother instinct in her that took over and wanted to take care of me, this runner who was clearly not sensible enough to put on proper layers before going outside? Was she just the type of person who has no filter, and says whatever comes to mind? Did she feel as though we were kindred spirits since we were both out for a run, and she was just looking out for me? All doubtful… she was projecting her own feelings, and perceptions onto me and what I was wearing… she wouldn’t be comfortable in it, so therefore I shouldn’t be either.  I should have sent her over to the college to observe the skanquinox in its full force… then maybe she wouldn’t have had such a problem with my running shorts and short sleeves (it was really quite pleasant out… shorts were appropriate!)

I guess I really shouldn’t judge the girls in their bikinis… no it's not what I would be wearing but if someone else wants to, more power to them. To each his own version of the skanquinox… I’m sticking to flowy skirts and running shorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment