Thursday, June 30, 2011

A blog in which I talk about what I've been cooking lately


I downloaded pictures onto my computer the other day, and realized that most of my photographs were not of friends or family, but rather of food (food, and plants, and events actually) I’m not quite sure what that says about me as a person, or my personality…. Seemed like a good excuse to blog about what I’ve been cooking recently, so my photos can at least get into the world, and off of my computer.

I was working from home today, and feeling a little un-inspired, not only by my current mailing project, but also my food options. Thankfully, it’s Thursday, so I grabbed my keys and walked the few blocks to the farmers market. I was there an back in 16 minutes, and acquired a bunch of beets, 2 cucumbers, a handful of new potatoes, and a fresh baguette. Things were looking up. I broke of hunks of crusty bread, as I pondered what to do for a late lunch. I began chopping the cucumber, adding a few slices to my water glass, and arranging the rest of the chunks on a plate. It was a little on the bitter side, but not willing to give up on my lunch that easily, I decided to get creative. I added olive oil, and white wine vinegar, sel gris, freshy ground pepper, and some paprika for color. I ran to the garden and picked a few sprigs of fresh dill, threw it all together. I also added a sprinkling of Nutritional Yeast to the top… to help with my never-ending quest to get enough vitamin-B and I also added some cottage cheese to the plate. It wasn’t the most creative lunch endeavor, but it was nice and easy, and full of clean flavors, and I got to eat on my patio.  <3



Over the weekend I was working a wedding catered by Simpatica Dining Hall. I cannot say enough good things about Scott Ketterman, the chef, and every event he has done for us has been stunning. Were he not married, I’d be a little smitten… seriously people, deep fried fennel bulb with saffron aioli! More please!  He also made a really clever beet salad, and my own version has been making an appearance in my kitchen all week. The roasted beets were mixed with cucumbers, but they were cut in identical wedges, and the beet juice saturated the cucumbers, so it was almost impossible to tell if you were biting into a beet or a cucumber. I found the dish to be really playful, and I’ve had fun eating my version of it all week. I didn’t try enough of Scott’s salad to really tell what the other flavors were, but when in doubt, I add copious amounts of olive oil, and sea salt, and it seems to mostly work. I also picked from fresh sorrel from my garden and added the leaves for a nice pop of green. I love the bitter, almost lemony flavor of the sorrel, and it adds a nice tart flavor to things. Not to mention the fact that the red veined sorrel is beautiful! (with the beets, come on, its gorgeous!) Quinoa has been my go-to grain for quite some time (even though a few months ago I read an article about how it is in such high demand here, that it is becoming more expensive for the people who actually need to survive… I do have a little guilt about that…) It is my back-up protein, especially since I really don’t cook very much meat, and I put it in EVERYTHING! I love it with arugula and poached eggs, in salads, by itself... I’ll take it in any format.

Beet & Cucumber Salad with Sorrel


A few weeks ago, I was feeling overly ambitions, and decided to cook a steak. My parents were eating out, so I commandeered their kitchen and their barbeque and I cooked my first ever steak. It was a trial and error process (I only had to put it back on the grill 3 times) but the final product was pretty tasty. I put it over oven roasted fingerling potatoes, black rice, and lightly sautéed kale.  It was a good night to be a meat and potatoes kind of girl.



Tonight I was excited to use the beets from the famer’s market, and I had a fridge full of random vegetables, so I made a roasted vegetable medley. Brussel Sprouts, onions, red bell pepper, potatoes, I also thinned out my carrots today, so I threw in the little carrot “fingers” in an effort not to be wasteful.  And then I added the beets. I was pleasantly surprised when I cut into them and discovered candy stripes! I know, I know, I’m really excited by the little things in life, but doesn’t it just make you swoon a little bit? I’m always amazed by the beauty and playfulness of plants, and these are some sassy little vegetables!   I dressed everything with a large helping of olive oil, and cut some fresh sage, rosemary, thyme and winter savory from the garden.  ( first time using my golden rosemary… again, I’m in love with the variegated leaves! It’s a gorgeous plant!)  While the veggies were roasting away, I cut up the remainder of the baguette and began to make some croutons. I almost always make croutons in the oven, but since the vegetables were in there, I made them on the stove, and I’m really happy with how they turned out! Again, I added copious amounts of olive oil, sel gris, and thyme and rosemary. I mixed them together with my hands, (which is fun, and also the olive oil is great for my hands during gardening season. Win!) and added them to the pan…. I really wish that I would have had a nice cheese to add to the veggie medley… but alas when I went shopping this week, all I bought was ricotta cheese… (this is what happens when you just go grocery shopping and don’t have any menus planned out… random ingredients) but it actually worked with the dish. I also think some bacon would be really good crumbled on top… then again what wouldn’t be better with bacon crumbled on top? The roasted flavor of the vegetables, mixed with the crunchiness of the croutons was perfect, and it felt like a very hearty and comforting dish.  I think just about any vegetables would work… eggplant, fennel bulb… whatever you have.

Candy Stripe Beets! Swoon
thinned out carrot fingers

Veggie medley ready for the oven
*I got a little distracted writing this post, and over-cooked the vegetables a tad… not too bad, but the brussel-sprouts are a little over-done… aka not pretty, so there is no “after” picture… but it still tastes good!

It’s been a good day, great food, wonderful market, two yoga classes,  and the Red Sox Won (Jason Varitek hit two home runs in one game!) and now I’ve got a glass of wine, and a satisfying meal… what more could a girl ask for?  Well… ok maybe someone to share it with….

1 comment: