Wednesday, June 1, 2011

June Priorities


I will be the first to admit that I pretty much sucked at blogging in May… I had visions more free time with certain projects coming to a close, but per usual, just as one realm slowed down, my work realm took off, leaving me feeling frazzled, and lacking in free time. I know it is my own fault… my own priorities are amiss, and if I REALLY wanted to write, I could make the time… but then who would do the laundry and the dishes, and plan classes, and get groceries? Most days I can hardly even manage to get that stuff done… but again that is my choice… when you are left with one day off a week, you often have to choose between personal tasks, and spending time with friends… and most days I choose socializing over the dishes….

June is going to be different. It is so easy to say, but I’m starting off the month by taking a personal day, and plan on getting my life in order. Look at me, blogging already… I know it is my responsibility to police my schedule, and lately I haven’t been very good at it. I found myself working 61 hours last week, and I know there were moments when I could have said “no, that project can wait” but last week in-particular there were a lot of things that couldn’t wait, couldn’t be moved, and actually had to get done. And that is the part I struggle with the most as a salaried employee… when they send everyone else home after clocking 40 hours, I start to feel as though I need to be picking up the slack… which is ridiculous. And my body is paying the consequences… maybe it is the 3 cups of coffee I drink a day, or maybe it is just the stress, but I have been feeling rather under the weather this week…. I know lean on the side of hypochondriac, so I realize that I probably don’t have an ulcer… but every time I start to actually feel the stress at work, my stomach starts to turn, and I have a new-found appreciation for tums. At least this year the stress isn’t resonating in my tonsils (do you have any idea how annoying/ frustrating it is to get tonsillitis 3-4 times during the summer?)  And so as of now, I’m tweaking my schedule, getting some regular office hours, I’m coming in later, and leaving earlier, and I’m hoping that this will help alleviate some stress.(at least in my personal life)

This month, I plan on spending more time in my garden, more time outside, more time in yoga class, more time writing! And maybe, just maybe a little less time in the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment