Monday, June 6, 2011

These Boots were made for walking... or working, or being sassy.

Two weeks ago, when I was right in the heat of my sixty-hour work week, I found myself doing some on-line shopping. Though it was true, nothing new was needed, I was frazzled, and worn out, and wanted the instant gratification of a purchase. It’s a little sick, the idea that possessions can make people so happy… and as a yoga teacher I struggle daily with non-possessiveness, and non-attachment. I know that things should just be things, and that my happiness should not be attached to purchases or belongings… And yet there I was, buying, and feeling so much more content. What can I say, sometimes when you are completely worn down, you need to up your sassy quota… (ok I maybe upped it a little much last month… thank you tax return… thank you Bull-dog savings fund) and these boots are adding a little bit of spring to my step.

I won’t go as far to say that I NEEDED new boots… but I will say that I wanted them. And I would never go so far as to say that I NEEDED Red Sox Skivvies… my other impulse online-shopping purchase…(because, let’s face it, I already have Red Sox skivvies). I am a person who believes that all undergarments should serve a purpose… They should either be practical, or sexy, or at least make you feel sassy… I think the Red Sox skivvies fall into the last category. I don’t know when, but I’m sure sooner or later I will find myself dancing around the house wearing them… Granted, I might be the only person in my life right now who actually appreciates them, I’m sure that someday, I’m going to meet someone who’s life is made just a little bit better knowing that I own multiple pairs of Red Sox Underwear… but I’m getting off topic…    

The boot obsession started a few weeks ago when I was on vacation in Montana. My girl- friends and I were on a mission to find some used cowboy boots, and as we browsed around down-town Missoula, we didn’t find any cowboy boots, but I was rather taken with an amazing pair of Danskos. At first glance, it was everything I was looking for in a boot. Flat. Rounded Toe. Gorgeous stitching up the sides. Laces. The perfect brown color. I was instantly smitten, and for the next few weeks couldn’t get them off of my mind… I have a bit of a shoe collection. That being said, I think 95% of the time I am either wearing flip flops, my Dansko Clogs, or my Croc Mary Janes… I love fancy shoes, I have a closet full of fancy shoes, but lately I’m all about the comfort and the practicality… so the fact that these boots were sassy and practical was pretty much a win- win. (did I mention they have a zipper up one side, and that I can adjust the laces so they actually fit perfectly around my calves? They are seriously fantastic)

We did find some cowboy boots on our way back to Oregon… and my craving for new boots was slightly satisfied. Lets face it, the black cowboy boots had been on my list of things to purchase for quite some time….

 The Boot Mecca we Stumbled upon at an antique store 
in Coeur d'Alene on our way home

And yet I couldn’t get the other boots off my mind. The whiskey colored leather, the long laces, the detailed stitching… I started doing some on-line searching, read reviews, and even found out they were pictured in one of the fall issues of Yoga Journal… not that that factored into my decision making…  I know that buying boots in June is not really practical… but on the bright side, buying boots this time of year usually means they are on sale. And they were. It’s true, I probably won’t have much of a change to wear them between now and October, I can live with that.

I did take advantage of what was hopefully one of the last dreary spring days to sport the boots. Ok it wasn’t that dreary, and I was wearing a sun-dress… but I couldn’t not wear them! These boots really were made for walking… or working, or being on your feet all day, or being sassy. All of the above. And I can honestly say that I have no buyers remorse (even after looking at my credit card bill). I usually splurge a little bit on myself for my birthday… though this was a month early (and realistically I will probably still have to get myself a little birthday something from Anthropologie…. I mean they send you birthday coupons, it would be a same not to use them) it seemed like a fitting purchase… And the skivvies… well they are adding a little spring to my step too. 




1 comment: