Sunday, September 20, 2009

Bouquets of newly-sharpened pencils

Don't you love New York in the
fall? It makes me want to buy school
supplies. I would send you a bouquet of
newly-sharpened pencils if I knew your
name and address.- You’ve Got Mail


There is something indescribably delightful about the imminent arrival of fall. Though I am devoted fan of summer & all that comes with it, I find myself to be looking forward to fall more and more.& really, what’s not to love about Autumn? Sure in the Pacific Northwest it gets a little rainy… but let’s be honest if we didn’t secretly love that (even if it’s only on a subconscious level) we wouldn’t live here. Maybe I find fall so appealing is because of the tangible excitement that surrounds it, or at least surround its main actives…. going back to school, grape harvest, post season baseball… Or perhaps it is change I’m craving more than anything, whether that be a change of address, change of outfit, or change of season, I’m ready for something new, something different, and Fall seems to bring this in the perfect small doses.

Everything. Colors, the climate, the couture, are practically exploding with change this time of year. Leaves cycle from green to vibrant shades of yellow, orange and red. What was once verdant and lush is starting to become neon and electric. Harvest is upon us in the Willamette valley & the age old question of “to pick, or not to pick” is on the edge of every vineyard manager & winemakers minds. The evenings and afternoons are becoming cooler, breezier, & summer footwear is starting to be traded in for closed toed options.

Though I may not be ready for a huge life change, I am ready to start cycling my cooler weather clothing into daily use. What is it about this time of year that makes scarves and boots, and light jackets seem so delicious? I know, full well, that two months into the rainy season I will be longing for these dog days of summer back, but right now I have a menagerie of accessories waiting to be released into my everyday wardrobe. Like the foliage my attire is starting to make a gradual shift from grassy greens and blues, to richer tones of chartreuse, orange, umber & ash.

Along with layering of clothing and addition of accessories, also comes a nearly uncontrollable urge to spend copious amounts of my latest paycheck on “school supplies.” I’m not even in school, and yet September rolls around, and all I want to do is stock up on composition books, mechanical pencils, highlighters, post-it notes, and rainbow sharpies. It doesn’t matter that I’m not enrolled in any classes, I’m a student of the world, and damn it, I want new pens and spiral notebooks! Of course I realize this whimsical desire for school supplies isn’t entirely practical. I don’t have an actual use for twelve different colors of highlighter, a handful of notebooks, and a years supply of pencil lead, let alone a place to store it all, but I want it just the same… bouquets of newly-sharpened pencils.

1 comment:

  1. Is it bad that I could identify the movie and even finish the quote just by reading the title? =)

    ReplyDelete