Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sympathique




Some days, today being one of them, I just want to come home from work, put on sweat pants, pour a glass of wine, and dance around my apartment while listening to Pink Martini. Though this activity might not be alluring to many people, I find that it is one of the things that keeps me sane after a 10+ hour work day. I get comfortable, relax, indulge, and yes, sometimes I sing to myself in French… it happens.

Pink Martini has been one of my favorite bands since 11th grade, when I did a solo in ballet to their song Sympathique. I wore a red velvet leotard, and donned the most ridiculous fake eyelashes, put on my pointe shoes, and exercised my flair for the dramatic.

At the time I only knew Pink Martini as “that one band that sings that French song” but thankfully my music repertoire has expanded a little bit since my high school days..thank you iTunes, the wonderful Portland Music scene… and also my college roommate CoCo, who’s musical collection blew me away, and made me a much cooler person. Since those days, which I now tend to refer to as my musical dark ages, I have discovered the rest of the genius that is Pink Martini…


With songs in English ,French, Italian, Japanese, Croatian, and Spanish, the bi-lingual talent of the group is undeniable. Their sound is garden-party, old Hollywood glamour, mixed with modern global rhythms and perspectives. Group founder Thomas M. Lauderdale says . “We bring melodies and rhythms from different parts of the world together to create something which is new and beautiful.”


Much to my delight, Pink Martini calls Portland its home, which means I’ve had the opportunity to see them in concert a number of times. Never a disappointment, the twelve person ensemble puts on an amazing show. Every member of the band seems to embody finesse and charisma and one can tell they are passionate about performing. They always seem to have a great energy and connect with the audience in a unique way. I attribute this not only to the home-town appeal of the group, but also to the fact that their fan base is as diverse as their music.
Their debut album Sympathique came out in 1997, and twelve years later it is probably the most adaptable CD in my music collection. There is a song for every mood, every occasion, whether I am dancing around in my sweatpants, or throwing a sit-down dinner party, Sympathique is my CD of choice. Their two subsequent albums Hang on Little Tomato and Hey Eugene, are every bit as unique, delightful and charming.
Now, years after my first exposure to Pink Martini, I find I can relate to the French lyrics of Sympathique a bit better than I could in 11th grade. The English translation might not roll off the tongue quite as nicely, but the overall meaning and mood of the song transcend the language barrier. I come home from work and know exactly what China Forbs is feeling when she sings


Je ne veux pas travailler
Je ne veux pas déjeuner
Je veux seulement oublier
Et puis je fume


I don't want to work
I don't want to lunch
I want only to forget
And then I smoke



To find out more about the members of Pink Martini, hear samples of their music, check tour dates, and get a better feel for the band as a whole, visit their website at www.pinkmartini.com

No comments:

Post a Comment