Wednesday, August 3, 2011

August: Getting Frugal


As of August 1st, I am on a seriously tight budget. I’ve had budge months before, but this week when I sat down to balance my checkbook I realized that I have to pay rent, pay my car insurance, put a down-payment on a puppy, and go on two vacations in 1 pay period…. Oy vey. And throughout the month I’ll also have dental bills, vet bills, and I’ll probably have to eat some time…  So I’m pinching my pennies. This means, getting creative.


Thankfully, it’s the summer time, and my garden is actually starting to produce some things, so at least I know I won’t go hungry! I have beets, beans, peas, kale, cucumbers and carrots to supplement my diet… and if the weather keeps up the way it has been, I should have ripe tomatoes somewhere mid month! In the meantime, I decided that I had to kick my morning coffee routine, and start caffeinating at home. I usually get a large coffee (just drip) and a scone 4-5 times a week, and though I adore everything about my morning coffee stop (including a little time to be social) I figured I should be putting my daily $4.75 to better use. (not to mention the extra gas, since my coffee place is slightly out of my way…)  So instead, I took $10 bought a dozen bagels, a quart of milk, cream cheese, and some Cheerios, and now have breakfast items for nearly 2 weeks… all for the price of two days of my “norm.”  I’ve got a giant bag of stumptown coffee left over from an event… and there is really no reason why I shouldn’t be starting my day in my own kitchen. Plus with a new pet on the way, I’m sure my morning are going to become a little more chaotic… and I’ll need a little extra time in my own space, getting myself, and him ready for work (did I mention he gets to come with me?)  This morning I put fresh basil on my bagel… and it was pretty divine. 


I know that my extreme budgeting means that I will have fewer drinks with friends, and also that I will probably miss another month of Thai Country… But I also know that it will force me to be more creative, and will hopefully mean more home-cooked meals with friends! And really, a little frugality never hurt anyone…  Plus, I’ll get to come home everynight to this face! 

1 comment:

  1. Ummm, he's adorable! I expect many puppy blogs once he comes home with you!

    ReplyDelete